Monday, February 25, 2008

Am I Bad?

The subject comes up from time to time, in episodes that sometimes take days to pass. It comes to me when I'm writing my memoir, my third attempt to put to paper what everyone tells me is a fascinating life. It surfaces in the microscopic details I have to employ to help recreate on paper what lives so vividly in my mind. Sometimes it seems like ages ago, another life. But such feelings are cast aside by the realist in me who is immoveable, rigid, and stubborn. The truth is that no matter what the circumstances, no matter what outside forces influenced my decision to act, I should have known better.

My father, brother, and I, robbed jewelry stores in New England for close to five years. The cap we said was enough before we'd stop kept getting bigger, a hundred thousand, two, a million. Some of the robberies barely netted us a few thousand, one took a month to plan and an hour to execute, all for a few boxes of catalogs. Others were huge, blanketing every available surface in our house in gold, gems, and cash. I thought I knew lust's allure when I discovered what other uses there were for the old back massager I found in our attic as a teen. The day I rolled around on ten thousand dollars in cold hard cash made that seem like an itch in my pants.

During those robberies we beat a man, duct taped two of them to wooden chairs then left them to fend for themselves. We shoved loaded guns into all their faces and threatened their lives. And ironically, one was killed after we chose not to rob him. A week later someone put a bullet in his head for the same reason we were only going to cuff him to the bathroom sink while we cleared out his store.

Today I'm clean, living a quiet life, on a tiny island, where people go to die, is how a friend describes Nahant. I prefer it that way. Considering where I could be. My brother is behind the wall for two more years, bringing his grand total to ten. Dad served 11 and a half of his twelve years. He's retired, collecting government checks, and living off his retirement fund.Prison never leaves me. It haunts my dreams. Part of my desire to see the memoir published is so the world can judge my father. I realize my head is on the same chopping block. But I offer it humbly, or so it may seem.My therapist tells me guilt in the absence of a crime is neurotic. What about guilt in the presence of one? He also says there are no bad people, only people with greater or lesser degrees of mental health. It took me a long time to allow these ideas to rent space in my head, let alone come to some understanding of what they meant.

Am I bad? Sometimes it takes convincing.

5 comments:

MamaJude said...

Dude, you are not solely your actions, you are a whole person.

I still remain in awe of the person you've become.

Comfortable Shoes Studio said...

every person is more than a sum of their actions and reactions. clearly you are now a better person than you were. if you didn't feel some guilt for your past deeds you wouldn't be human. you paid the price that society prescribed and while I can't tell you it would be easy to move on or to let it go i can say that you should start to move on and let the past go. painful memories of who we once were and past misdeeds are what makes each of us who we are and why if we are decent people we end up better than we were before. If you didn't learn from those mistakes you'd still be making them.

bitch you should post more often.

Anonymous said...

It was a very hard time for all of us but now were even more closer like we were when we were kids..you'll never go back your future is wide open for more and better things in life you have a great women that loves you no matter what your passed was..and us in nh love you more than words can say i do have every time i read some thing you wrote i cry but now they are happy tears that i have such a loving and caring brother
love u bro

Jess said...

hey i dont no why but i had to set a page momandboysforever@verizon.net
even if i had time to write i dont no what i would say..call us

Brouhahamama said...

hmmm. great blog by the way. has the book come out? i'd love to read it. i'm of the opinion that a tree is known by it's fruit. unlike trees, however, we can choose to change our fruit. seems like you did. planted in some crappy soil, bore some bad fruit, paid for it, and now you're choosing to be a different tree. i see good fruit. great job - keep it up. i'm with Rachel- it's all about a choice. :)