Thursday, August 7, 2008

Technology Sucks!

My F'ing Playstation 3 crashed. AGAIN! Sunday I switched it on, prepared to sacrifice a few brain cells carjacking Corvettes and beating up hookers playing GTA 4 when a message appeared. I knew instantly what it was, it happened a year ago, almost to the exact day. "Hard drive has been compromised and needs to be rebuilt. Rebuild now?" And the friendly OK glowed like a beacon. Only when I pressed it, it just rebooted the system and brought me back to the same message over and over again. No GTA 4, no Corvettes, no hookers.

Shit!

So I called Playstation and they informed it will cost me $150 to fix. "But this is the second time it's happened, I barely got a year out of this new one you sent me."

"Sorry, the warranty is expired." The customer service rep said.

That's where Rachel grabbed the phone.

I snickered, thinking, you're in trouble now, dude.

She took the diplomatic route, bulleting the particulars:

  • Only a year old.
  • This happened to us once already.
  • Boyfriend takes impeccable care of said device. (I didn't even take the plastic off the top, it kept the dust off the console and was easier to clean).
  • He doesn't download off the Internet, pirate games, or play burned CD's in it.


She met with what I can only assume was false sympathy because she asked for a supervisor. Things went from bad to worse.

He essentially accused us for the meltdown siting the unlikelihood that the problem could happen to the same person twice, a rarity according to Mr. Supervisor.

So she tried logic, "Could you give me some examples of how a hard drive could be compromised? I mean, we live by the ocean, is it the salt air, the dust, humidity? I mean if it is our fault I'd like to know how we can prevent it from happening again so our $150 investment isn't wasted."

He offered some crap explanation about getting regular updates online, which I got, but essentially we're screwed.



After the crushing disappointment of knowing there was no other recourse, I added insult to injury. Online were numerous blog posts and forums that described the same problem happening to others, like me, just wanting to shoot some drug dealers.



I'm angry, of course, but mostly disappointed. I hate feeling helpless. PlayStation should be ashamed of themselves. Even car manufacturers recall faulty vehicles regardless of the expense. Maybe there's more at stake being behind the wheel of a improperly built car, maybe I should start carjacking or beating down hookers, that might get PlayStation to do the right thing.

1 comment:

MaryKayinBoston said...

Rachael seems like a firecracker when fighting for something that is right and I'm surprised you didn't get a whole new system, a hand held one and stock options.