Saturday, December 12, 2009


Someone said, "It's like they got married in a Starbucks." It's funny how many people take offense when we tell them we got married in a restaurant. So conventional, marriage seems, that when it's done unconventionally, people write it off as if our bond isn't sacred.


I used to joke with Rachel that the only thing that mattered to me was the ring. I felt she needed it. She felt she had enough gems. So I bit the bullet, spent more than I had, and bought her the ring I am proud to see sparkling under the track lighting of the wine tasting we attended tonight. She, in turn, employed a local artist to design my band, using gold and stones bought by reputable, sustainable companies, who don't pollute or use slave labor. So quintessentially rara.


The ceremony was held in The Charles River Hotel, in the function room of Henrietta's Table. We invited close friends and family, 35 in all, to sit with us, enjoy a great meal with organic wine, the food prepared using ingredients bought from local farms, that grow mostly organic produce. The ceremony, performed by the newly ordained, Reverend Austin Ritter (rara's bro), could not have gone more smoothly, hilarious yet poignant. After, we ate, drank, some danced, without the stuffiness of most conventional weddings. The cake was perfect, the flavors accentuated by the excitement of the day, and the proximity of those we love the most.


For me and Rach, the day could not have been more perfect. We married in the same fashion as we live, for each other, conscious of where our money goes, careful to consider the long term consequences of our actions.


And we laughed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you were sober. You drink?

Bryan said...

no, i still don't drink...damn it!

Anonymous said...

I amvery happy for you and your wife. It sounds like my kind of wedding. Where did you find the place that served organic food and drink? I would love to try that. Again congrats!

Bryan said...

henrietta's table in the Charles River Hotel. Also, Craigie on Main in Cambridge serves organic, locally grown and bought food. Thanks for reading.

valoi said...

We are all thrilled to hear! Congratulations to you and Rachel. We want to see more pictures...more stories and of course know where you go on a honeymoon?!
Wishing you all the best during the holiday season,
All your friends at LHS :)