Monday, July 7, 2008

Henchmen

Sometimes I joke that I have Attention Deficit Disorder but in reality, I have Attention Surplus Disorder. Case and point: The Dark Knight arrives in theaters July 18. Mark your calendars. Mine’s been marked for months. In anticipation, I’ve watched the trailers, three in all, so many times the tiny screen on the website threatens to permanently burn into my screen.

My unique attention to detail brings to mind the lives of those we seldom even notice in movies, Henchmen. And if you think about it real hard, depending on the movie, several henchmen are killed and you never gave it a second thought. It’s the mastermind we focus on. But without Henchmen they’re really just a one man show, easily defeated.

We often think of them as dim witted, easily swayed, the consummate follower. But we seldom ponder their attractive attributes, they’re loyalty, obedience, strong work ethics, and wide open schedules. It almost impossible not to wonder why they even applied given that their fate is woven into the fabric of the story and the outcome is never favorable. Can you recall a movie where a Henchman was the last one standing?

It makes me wonder what the application is like.

Name
Address
Have you ever been convicted of a felony? If no, why not?
Please list most recent pillaging experience first:
Please list any specialized skills you have i.e. safe cracking or kidnapping.

I can recall one movie that explored the lives of henchmen pretty accurately, Donnie Brasco. Can you?

By the way, in writing this I realized what draws me to ponder these inane subjects. I’m fascinated because at one point I was a Henchman; a 1996 article in the Boston Herald even said so:

MASTERMIND IS SENTENCED IN GEM THEFT RING
Date: September 20, 1996 Page: E24 Section: Metro
DEDHAM -- A four-year probe into a father-and-son jewelry heist ring came to an end yesterday as one of its masterminds pleaded guilty to armed robbery, larceny and conspiracy charges. John Frederick Sobolewski was sentenced to 12 years in state prison for his role in robberies that netted more than $1 million in Massachusetts. The 54-year-old electronics salesman from Nashua changed his plea to guilty in the face of mounting evidence following the guilty pleas of his two sons, Kevin, 28, and Bryan, 25, whom he recruited for the robberies.

4 comments:

MaryKayinBoston said...

midnight showing???

Anonymous said...

henchmen. gotta get me a couple of those.

pimajim said...

I was a partner in a electronics company, Scientific Devices, in Waltham in the 1970s with John Sobolewski, a smart Microwave Engineer but alove for money and women,,ran into him in 1990, very aloof, showed me a 10ct diamond pinky ring..next got a frantic fax from another associate that big John had been arrested on the Jewell Theft..a real shame and waste of talent, and his poor boys

Anonymous said...

I briefly worked with him in Ma at scientific devices. Who knew lol.