Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Prodigal Son

My brother and I don’t talk anymore.


After decades of conflict, we found a way to co-exist.


But when he demanded the three grand I owed him, even threatened to take me to court, everything collapsed. He was entitled, but I had just broken up with my girlfriend, things were tight. I asked him to be patient, I could barely afford food. In the following months I had to rely on credit to stay afloat. I just finished paying off those shylocks, ten years later.


My brother is the one I hated most growing up. One third of the memoir I wrote is attributed describing his cruelty. I absolved him long ago, intellectualizing his behavior; family dysfunction has a way of warping things. I’ve never come to an understanding of why I’m the only one of the three of us that has had any measure of success, however limited. I came out of it with a strong belief in therapy. My brother thinks it’s a bunch of crap.


Type I Diabetes is his crutch. He hobbles around on it like it’s a battle scar. Low sugars make him prone to violent outbursts that leave doctors, and Dad, shrugging. I’m not fooled. If my therapist is correct, anger is a non-optional response to pain. Pushing it down is like trying to keep a beach ball submerged; inevitably, it pops up elsewhere. His low blood sugars are the psychological manifesting itself in the physical.


I can only imagine that Dad feels some measure of guilt for my brother’s inability to rejoin the collective after eight years of being locked up. My brother tried, went back to school, made it onto the honor roll. His probation officer violated him after his first dirty urine, the judge’s reluctance to send an A student back behind the wall waned after the second one.


Dad called me last night at work and asked to speak to me. I need to see you, eight-thirty in the usual spot? Most sons never worry that meeting their Dad for a pizza at Regina's might be the call to rob again. It’s the first thing that pops into my mind. He told me a sentencing glitch and recalculation means my brother will be released on Friday. With Dad’s knee surgery scheduled for Thursday, there’s no one to pick my brother up.


I wouldn't ask if I weren't having my knee replaced. I know you have your differences. I was hoping you two could set them aside. Maybe get along again.


Dad doesn’t understand that it’s never been about money. My own brother threatened to take me to court. He forgot that when I got out I had to take care of Mom, alone, while cancer ate her alive. He forgot that the reason he has his inheritance is because of me.


Our relationship dissolved over a paltry three grand, the going rate for brotherhood.


So what do you think? Should I do it?

7 comments:

WIIZ said...

yeah...just pick him up, try and show him that no matter what the trial is he's gonna need you. If he still get past the fact of three g's and still wants to take it to court..... let him then disconnect from him.

Anonymous said...

god do I miss mom there are days I cant get her outta my head with the ? allways there if she was still here would we be were we are at I miss our family and wish some day we can all be in the same room
shit all u gutta do is pick him up if anything happens to dad guess who i get hmmmmm Keep up the writing it keeps me close to u I only have you safety girl and kev I love you all
sis

Anonymous said...

First off thanks for coming into my school and talking. You were a pretty kick ass guest speaker. I connected with some of your stories a lot. My sister was pretty crazy to me growing up too. I think that you should push to try and connect with him. Worst case scenario you are right back to where you started from in terms of yours and his relationship right?

Anonymous said...

I think you should go pick him up, even if he was rotten to you. Even if you feel like you can't connect with him you might as well, it seems like his life really sucks right now.

Anonymous said...

Dude its Thursday the 16th where the hell is your next blog?! Seriously. Ive read "Prodigal Son" four times, its gettin' old.

-Austin

ab said...

ahaha austin reads this too

Anonymous said...

well... did you pick him up! Respond! You can't be a blog voyeur and then just leave us hanging! Enough of this! Update us on things. Like Rara's hair, how are we handling that? Think about how many times you leave us hanging! Seriously! Oh, and I hope you picked him up, but keep your family drama radar on. Let go of anger, and hold on to sanity/peace.